Sunday, January 18, 2009

Adventures with Squid Ink Pasta


My tale of squid ink pasta is somewhat disappointing.  I was at my local indoor farmer's market when I spotted a long plastic bag filled with long, thin, black strands.  On closer inspection, I saw that it was dried squid ink pasta!  "What a treat!" I thought to myself.  Being the curious foodie that I am, I decided to buy it and cook it up.  


There weren't really any clear instructions on the package b/c it was mostly in Italian (a good sign, I thought).  It said to cook for 12 to 15 minutes.  So I boiled the noodles, but then came out a grey, wormy-looking pot of pasta.  I overlooked the very drab color and gave it a taste... Hmmm, it lacked any distinct flavor.  I had heard that squid ink pasta was supposed to be salty and a little sweet, but really, I couldn't tell to much of a difference between this grey mess and regular pasta.  


But, with my culinary skills, I was able to turn this aesthetically displeasing pasta into a tasty dinner by adding sundried tomato basil sausage, grilled eggplant, yellow squash, onions, garlic, and fresh parsley and olive oil.  And then with a couple of drops of white truffle oil, it was magnificent!  So, I won't try THIS brand of squid ink pasta, but I would try another one if I was assured that it wouldn't turn grey and that it had a distinct flavor.  I would welcome any suggestions.


Warning: The picture looks pretty gross, but if you had just closed your eyes and took a bite, you would forget all about the greyness =)



No comments: